Monday, July 20, 2009

Summer Greenery


Squash and Oak


Poison Ivy


Mustard Green with pest, Cabbage White Butterfly Caterpillar.
(The little black thing appeared in the middle of the photo shoot. Eggs/Excrement?)

Okay, I put the caterpillar in a jar with the leaf. The leaf is nothing but the center "rib" now and there are little black "dots" and some green ones all over the bottom of the jar. The caterpillar is still alive, but has nothing to eat. I'm not sure what to do with him. I certainly don't want to propagate these pests. I haven't found any others in my herb/vegetable garden. I did find some little black eggs (I think). I plucked the leaf they were on and unfortunately, they fell into the soil. Some of my mustard greens are eaten up, but it's not too bad.
A few days later: The caterpillar made a chrysallis on the side of the jar.
A week or so later: Butterfly emerged. Found out it is a Cabbage White butterfly. It's a female--two dark dots on each wing.

No comments: