Friday, July 31, 2009

Forever


I used to go to this movie theater when I was young. It looks like hell now, but it was the coolest place to see movies--it was a real experience! I loved the staircase up to the restrooms. It was near my childhood home so it was an everyday image. I wish that it could stay there forever and turn into ruins. Centuries later people would stumble upon it and wonder its use. That is not how it goes, though. Not around where I grew up. Every goddamn piece of land must make money. The Blue Ridge Cinema was built in the 70s and closed in 1995. It sat there with its fountain-like columns lording over I-70, reassuring me every time I passed it that my childhood was not quite dead. Well, it will be demolished soon. That's fine. Whatever. My childhood has been dead for a long time anyways. I've grown up. In its place will be a new, shittily built retail center for people who have no money to spend. I guess I shouldn't worry, it will eventually go the way of Noland Fashion Square, a defunct shopping center located just a little ways down the street from the old theater. Let's keep building people!!! Shopping is more important than Green Space! All that matters is that the developers get their money. It doesn't matter that businesses will not fill the buildings being built. It does not matter that communities are surrounded by shells of wasted materials. Blight is cool.


image from dmhergert's Flicker.

No comments: