Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The snow birds

How'd I get so lucky to have
Blue Jays, Cardinals and Downy Woodpeckers
in my yard?
Oh, that's right, I fed them
Today there's nothing like snow birds
Their colors so profound in the blank scape
How'd I get so lucky?
How'd I get so lucky?
How'd I get so lucky?
That's right, I fed them
The snow birds

I watched a POV on Patti Smith and cried really hard. If I saw her on the street I would cry and say, "Oh, Patti!" I'd say, "How do poets live in this world?" You just live, I guess. Try to live without fear. Things seemed so simple back then. It never really was and it never really will be, but how do you gain the courage to be a shooting star? How can you fully be yourself? You seem to know, Patti. Why can't we just live on? We can with words.

How'd I get so lucky?
I fed myself.

No comments: