Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wii Band

And then
we go
into a tunnel.

>>Wii band<<

snake, snake
snake, snake
excite.
excite.
Buh. Uhzzzzzzzz.

This is the book
it's a poem of stories

>We are Wii and we will rock you<

You come out on the other side
to find yourself
in another random story that has an
enviro-bent feel to it.

"We hired the band Wii for our office party, yeah, it was totally strange, but cool! No. It was really cool, I'm just now remembering..."

...hiccup in time...

"We thought they were just called Wii, but they actually played the Wii hooked up to amps. We were thinking, what the fuck!? We hired these people to play a video game?! No wait. It was right when Ermine was griping to me about the purchase of disposable salt and pepper grinders for the employee kitchen. She was saying, 'Nick, you know we could buy salt and pepper grinders and then fill them with bulk sea salt and peppercorns. You can't even REUSE these grinders! I just don't understand why someone would buy these! Nick?'

"Yeah?"

"Are you with me on this? Why do you think someone in this office would buy these?"

"Because someone made them for someone to buy?"

"Yes. Exactly. Where's the responsibility?! Where does it end?! These grinders, useless as they will be when they are empty will be with us forever!"

"Oh god! Where was I? Did I really go into all that? Anyways, it was right after all that Ermine noise that the band walked in with a bunch of cases that looked like instruments and amps. Oh man! No--Manny knew! That bastard! He let us nearly wet our pants! It's fear, I swear! Fear of being uncool. But who was to know that this band playing "instruments" from a video game would create a sound so sonic, synthetic, and pure?"

"Hmmmm. I'm going to have to check out one of their shows sometime."

"You absolutely must!"

"I'm going to talk to Ermine. See you later, Nick."

"Bye, Charlie! Where was I...."

Charlie left Nick to go on and on about whatever to the other employees that had gathered around and found Ermine in the office supply room.

"Hey, Ermine."

"Hey, Charlie."

"So I heard that band was pretty cool, eh?"

"Oh yeah, they were great! Amazing performance!"

"How? I mean, what was so spectacular?"

"Well, they had the full band Hero set-up and two DJ Hero decks----Hey, did you buy those disposable salt and pepper grinders for the employee kitchen?"

"No, but I know about them. Nick told me."

"It's irresponsible! How can we teach the manufacturers to not make this shit?! By not buying it! Jeez!"

"Ok, ok, calm down. You were telling me about the band."

Shaking off the disgust, she quickly switches back to her excitement of the office party band.

"Oh yes! I guess they had downloaded or recorded or maybe they created their own game, I don't know, but they had interesting music and sounds that they recorded and I guess put the game on the freestyle option and just jammed! I'm still unsure how they do it, but it was their own music, well, their own patchwork of obscure samples and found sounds."

She went back into her memory of the night and became animated as she found the words.

"The stage performance! Too cool! The coolest! Their dress was robotic like, but in metallic rainbow colors. And wigs! Oh, the wigs on the girl Wii D.J. and Wii guitarist reminded me of Michelle Meyrink in Real Genius, but more severe, and of course in colors of pink and blue. The singing was real avante garde--many sounds--like they were deaf mutes or cave people or babies, but with an authoritative and important urgency. I liked the hiccup song--real pop-y. I know everyone wants pop so bad, and I don't blame them. It feels good. It's funny that pop means something different now than just Popular music. It seems to relate more to the feeling of poppiness. Anyway, we were pleased with our decision to hire them and we invited them to party with us when their set was over. Real cool unusual group. You should've been there, Charlie!"

"I know! I tried, but I slipped down this tunnel and....."

Here we go again....
snake, snake
snake, snake
excite.
excite.
Fuh. Uhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Stuck in the fuzz and buzz of static until the next story...

No comments: