Wednesday, August 8, 2007

If promises were rainbows...

It's really messed up how bible stories can infiltrate my mind. It's raining right now (thank god!) and sun rays popped out through a blue grey sky. Immediately, I jumped up like a crazy person peering out the window to see if I could spot a rainbow. All of the sudden the idea that a rainbow was a promise from god to Noah(right?) entered my mind. Why? I'm no longer religious. Still, the old Sunday school bible stories gum up my memories. So is every damn rainbow a promise? For what? So now every time I see a rainbow I have to rack my brain about what god promised? Was it just that one rainbow of Noah's? Or was it all rainbows? All the specifics of the stories seem to get lost in the mix of other urban legends or wives tale myths. Was Noah supposed to wait 15 minutes after he ate before he went swimming in the receding flood? No matter, I didn't see a rainbow, so no promises for god to keep today.

No comments: