Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Authored by me (I wish)

 











I love this idea.  I love the name, The Opal.  I'm weirdly jealous.

Copied from Wikipedia: 

The Opal (1851–1860) is a ten volume journal written, edited and printed by the patients of the Utica State Lunatic Asylum, circa 1851. On its more than 3,000 pages, writers talked of their experiences and world views, giving great insight to the environment of New York's premiere state-operated Asylum, in Utica, New York. Themes that continuously arose in the poetry, prose, political commentary, and articles about insanity include issues concerning medication, restraint, seclusion, human rights, liberty, overcoming oppression, and support.

Influenced by Dr. Amariah Brigham's belief of "the curative value of mental occupation," his successor, Dr. Nathan Benedict, launched this publication by the patients of the asylum.

This article, referenced on the Wikipedia page, is interesting, touched a nerve.  If I ever open a hobo house, it will have a periodical.

It would be great if these volumes were digitized.  I'd love to spend time with The Opal!

This time that I spent with The Opal (1851-1860) was precious to me. I laughed. I cried. I became enraged and then inspired. --Lauren J. Tenney (author of the linked article, Who fancies to have a Revolution here?)


No comments: