Saturday, June 17, 2017

Observation #444

Hello!  Summer's greetings! Well, almost!  This Wednesday is the Summer Solstice and the official first day of Summer!
With that, I herald my first sightings/sounds of my favorite bugs of summer.

On our walk this evening my family heard our first sounds of cicadas!  
Side note, at the beginning of our walk, my son said he hoped to see some owls.  We have never seen owls on our walk before, but at the last stretch of our walk we heard a Great Horned Owl hoot!  He/She even answered our return hoot!  Summer sounds abound!

My mom saw her first lightning bug on May 28.  I hardly go out at night at this point in my life and am usually so sleepy after finally getting the kids to bed that I don't even look outside.   So my first lightning bug sighting was about a week ago.

No comments: